Senior Software Engineer
We’re an early stage, Aussie-born, global fintech disruptor focused on opening up a world of possibilities for businesses seeking simple, seamless, all-in-one payments. What does this mean? We take the complexity out of gift cards, providing new ways to connect merchants and consumers.
Our start-up is well funded, and as we scale, we are bringing together a collective of like-minded people. Our platform is scalable globally and bolstered by a multi-year strategic partnership with Mastercard. Recognising the opportunity, CommBank formed a new strategic partnership with Karta in October 2021.
With groundbreaking technology that simplifies gift cards for consumers and businesses, we are bringing together an amazing team of engineers to develop our go to market B2B product. This product, as well as a range of other exciting concepts, will enable Companies to thank their employees, or reward customer loyalty with gift cards.
To bring these concepts to life, we will need talented, curious software engineers, who will be responsible for setting the scene with quality coding, and application design. The Senior Software Engineer will build web applications from concept all the way to completion from the bottom up, including web frontend, API’s, databases, and cloud engineering. In this role you will also play a role in quality assurance, to ensure product quality, is in line with the documentation. You and your team will also be responsible for ensuring that we continuously improve in line with our quality assurance framework.
You have a collaborative mindset, and excellent problem-solving skills. You can think outside the box, finding creative and efficient solutions. You have excellent communication skills and enjoy sharing where you are up to, and what lies ahead openly and transparently, contributing to a high performing engineering culture.
What you will lead:
- The development of a range of B2B products or requirements
- Engaging with design, operations, marketing, finance and sales teams on the development, QA, and releases
- Collaboration, liaising with internal team members, management, and external suppliers to ensure projects are completed to standard and in line with our requirements, the strategic goals, and ambitions
- Writing code alongside your team, always improving our products, in line with best practice
- The identification of bottlenecks, and risks, raising these openly, forming contingency plans where necessary
- Functionality testing and debugging code
- Ensuring our software documentation is up to date
- QA tasks, to determine and priorities what to test, monitor the test coverage; design test cases plus define specific tests, schedule test execution then develop test documentation and finally deliver it to a product owner
- Participating in agile ceremonies, including retrospective, demos & stand-ups
- Team output, creating a culture of performance, living up to commitments and having a focus on continuous improvement
- Being up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies
What you can demonstrate:
- Proven experience in web app development and top-notch programming skills
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Strong organisational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets with business acumen
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques
- Excellent technical, diagnostic, and troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with the Agile/Scrum tools framework
- Highly effective cross-functional working style
- Excellent communication, motivational, and interpersonal skills
Your Technical Expertise:
- Expertise in Node JS, Express and Typescript is essential
- Knowledge and experience with AWS cloud infrastructure
- Experience in API design and software architecture for large scale applications
- Ability to optimise web application performance
- Knowledge of current security best practices
- Experience with MySQL, Postgres and DynamoDB databases
- Familiarity with Postman or similar tools
- Latest knowledge in deployment CICD pipelines
- Previous experience with Confluence, Jira or other similar tools is a must
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or a related field
- Previous software and web application experience
- Proven experience working in a fast moving, fast paced fintech start up
- A background in financial services or payments is a bonus
- You inspire those around you with your positive mindset
- You have a contagious energy, and engaging style
- You are a structured thinker, able to bring clarity of thought
- You apply structured problem solving to any issue
- You use sound judgement using data combined with your intuition
- You are comfortable with ambiguity whilst working in an evolving environment
- You are perceptive and enjoy the ‘hustle’ required to get things done
- You take accountability, living up to your commitments
- You know it’s not just what you deliver, it is how - you do things the right way, every time
Why is working with Karta so special?
We are a growing team, with the customer at the heart of all that we do. We are a welcoming and friendly bunch, on the cusp of something pretty special! Inspired by the journey ahead and our supportive leadership team, we are all in. We are building our Company culture together to ensure we can achieve our goals and have fun along the way. We are a true start up, figuring everything out as we go, making progress as we face the usual growing pains.
We are pretty excited about our products, the tech stack, and our suit free, open mike no ‘bs’ work style and approach. We are a truly flexible organisation, with the option of remote or hybrid work styles that reflect your role and your personal circumstances.
We know that innovation thrives where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems in ways that are just now possible. As such, we explicitly seek people that bring diverse life experiences, diverse educational backgrounds, diverse cultures, and diverse work experiences. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to our engineering teams.